Blog

4/19/2018 5:10:13 PM

Treasure Hunts and Spring Cleaning

Jeanne Rosier Smith / 10 Comments

Yesterday, small new frames in hand, I headed to the basement with a special kind of treasure in mind. I was looking for fresh work, or more accurately, fresh eyes. Sometimes all it takes to discover treasure lurking under your nose is a fresh perspective and a willingness to repurpose. [...]

Read More

7/12/2017 7:59:30 PM

Metamorphosis

Jeanne Rosier Smith / 9 Comments

Sometimes I love a painting right from the start, and send it joyfully into the world. And then again sometimes a painting will seem to linger, leaning uncertainly against my studio wall. Here's the story of how I gained perspective on one recent painting. By literally giving it the brush off, I discovered its true beauty. [...]

Read More

3/9/2017 8:58:38 AM

Simplify! Simplify!

Jeanne Rosier Smith / 13 Comments

The key to any good composition is to recognize it first as an abstract pattern. This means simplifying the scene into shapes rather than things. The scene caught me with its interesting pattern of lights and darks. [...]

Read More