Blog

11/6/2023 4:14:19 PM

A Season for Second Acts

Jeanne Rosier Smith / 12 Comments

Fall is the season for second acts, runners up, late bloomers. Everyone gets a chance to shine. I can relate to these trees. [...]

Read More

1/29/2019 2:26:06 PM

Seeking Warmth in Winter

Jeanne Rosier Smith / 27 Comments

We long for warmth in these months, and those warm touches in a winter scene attract the eye and warm the soul. I search for gesture and movement in the branches, patterns in the light filtering through. The less I can say, the more imply in these scenes the better. [...]

Read More

10/28/2018 10:20:43 PM

Of Acorns and Autumn: How Awe, Fear and Daring Inspire a Series

Jeanne Rosier Smith / 15 Comments

As always happens with series, each new painting teaches me more about the subject. I discover ways to create depth, I notice new color shifts, and begin to see how to simplify. In my experience, new iterations don't beget repetitiveness; rather, they branch out in different directions and inspire new ideas. [...]

Read More

7/2/2018 2:23:41 PM

Fresh Perspectives

Jeanne Rosier Smith / 32 Comments

The study of a master work puts the observer in the head of another artist, which cannot help but change one's perspective. And a fresh perspective is one of the most valuable ways to learn. [...]

Read More

4/19/2018 5:10:13 PM

Treasure Hunts and Spring Cleaning

Jeanne Rosier Smith / 10 Comments

Yesterday, small new frames in hand, I headed to the basement with a special kind of treasure in mind. I was looking for fresh work, or more accurately, fresh eyes. Sometimes all it takes to discover treasure lurking under your nose is a fresh perspective and a willingness to repurpose. [...]

Read More

1/2/2018 4:32:53 PM

The Fine Art of Discovery

Jeanne Rosier Smith / 24 Comments

Instead of following a map, I had to just start looking and listening and responding to what I saw. What a discovery: I became much more attuned to my senses, noticed colors, edges, shapes throughout the painting process in a way I don't always--because I am thinking about where I'm going, not where I am now. [...]

Read More

8/9/2017 7:33:10 PM

Plein Air Lessons: Sketch Twice, Paint Once

Jeanne Rosier Smith / 19 Comments

In the studio I love working large, but when I'm outside I must scale down, and—despite my fabulous surroundings—I seem to forget every time that I would do much better to scale down my focus as well. Paying attention to where my interest really lies, and allowing myself to start again and take the time to develop my focus carefully gives me a more manageable, more exciting composition, and a better result. [...]

Read More

4/16/2017 7:17:33 PM

Creative Color: Spring is Sprung

Jeanne Rosier Smith / 8 Comments

It is virtually always more important to use the correct value in an area than to use the correct color. This idea, once considered, is so freeing that it opens up one's use of colors exponentially. [...]

Read More

3/9/2017 8:58:38 AM

Simplify! Simplify!

Jeanne Rosier Smith / 13 Comments

The key to any good composition is to recognize it first as an abstract pattern. This means simplifying the scene into shapes rather than things. The scene caught me with its interesting pattern of lights and darks. [...]

Read More

2/11/2017 9:01:18 AM

Beauty in the Backyard

Jeanne Rosier Smith / 6 Comments

To artists, the world is a potential painting. So it makes sense that we find some of our richest material in the familiar. [...]

Read More