Blog

10/28/2018 10:20:43 PM

Of Acorns and Autumn: How Awe, Fear and Daring Inspire a Series

Jeanne Rosier Smith / 15 Comments

As always happens with series, each new painting teaches me more about the subject. I discover ways to create depth, I notice new color shifts, and begin to see how to simplify. In my experience, new iterations don't beget repetitiveness; rather, they branch out in different directions and inspire new ideas. [...]

Read More

7/2/2018 2:23:41 PM

Fresh Perspectives

Jeanne Rosier Smith / 32 Comments

The study of a master work puts the observer in the head of another artist, which cannot help but change one's perspective. And a fresh perspective is one of the most valuable ways to learn. [...]

Read More

1/2/2018 4:32:53 PM

The Fine Art of Discovery

Jeanne Rosier Smith / 24 Comments

Instead of following a map, I had to just start looking and listening and responding to what I saw. What a discovery: I became much more attuned to my senses, noticed colors, edges, shapes throughout the painting process in a way I don't always--because I am thinking about where I'm going, not where I am now. [...]

Read More

5/19/2017 6:06:30 AM

And the Winner Is...

Jeanne Rosier Smith / 12 Comments

Awards are thrilling—but those rejections do sting. Our response to either scenario is what really matters. [...]

Read More