Blog

10/28/2018 10:20:43 PM

Of Acorns and Autumn: How Awe, Fear and Daring Inspire a Series

Jeanne Rosier Smith / 15 Comments

As always happens with series, each new painting teaches me more about the subject. I discover ways to create depth, I notice new color shifts, and begin to see how to simplify. In my experience, new iterations don't beget repetitiveness; rather, they branch out in different directions and inspire new ideas. [...]

Read More

8/9/2017 7:33:10 PM

Plein Air Lessons: Sketch Twice, Paint Once

Jeanne Rosier Smith / 19 Comments

In the studio I love working large, but when I'm outside I must scale down, and—despite my fabulous surroundings—I seem to forget every time that I would do much better to scale down my focus as well. Paying attention to where my interest really lies, and allowing myself to start again and take the time to develop my focus carefully gives me a more manageable, more exciting composition, and a better result. [...]

Read More

7/12/2017 7:59:30 PM

Metamorphosis

Jeanne Rosier Smith / 9 Comments

Sometimes I love a painting right from the start, and send it joyfully into the world. And then again sometimes a painting will seem to linger, leaning uncertainly against my studio wall. Here's the story of how I gained perspective on one recent painting. By literally giving it the brush off, I discovered its true beauty. [...]

Read More

5/19/2017 6:06:30 AM

And the Winner Is...

Jeanne Rosier Smith / 12 Comments

Awards are thrilling—but those rejections do sting. Our response to either scenario is what really matters. [...]

Read More